It’s New Year’s Eve. You want to have a good time. But you don’t want to regret having too much of a good time, in the morning.
|Image courtesy of WebMD/Getty
But forget the hangover cure myths like the hair of the dog (drinking more alcohol to cure your hangover) or drinking lots of coffee (you will become even more dehydrated and make your hangover worse). From the online consumer research service, LabDoor.com, here are a few proven tips on how to treat your New Year’s hangover.
And since a hangover is a bunch of symptoms, not just one, make sure to treat each symptom specifically, if:
1. You have a headache
- Say yes to Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin). Take it before drinking prevents your body from releasing pain-inducing chemicals. Its effectiveness peaks in 4 hours. A small cup of coffee can also make the ibuprofen even more effective.
2. You have an upset stomach
- Take an antihistamine like Benadryl before drinking to block alcohol’s pro-inflammatory effects on your gastrointestinal lining and prevent upset stomach.
- Soothe your tummy with Tums. The sodium bicarbonate in many antacids neutralizes gastric acid.
- Ginger tea or pills can also lessen nausea and vomiting.
- Eat eggs and asparagus. They increase your body’s levels of glutathione and alcohol dehydrogenase. Both of these molecules are necessary for breaking down alcohol.
3. You feel bad all over
- Drink one glass of water between each beverage.
- Drink electrolyte-rich fluids. Coconut water or sports drinks can help prevent muscle aches, nerve dysfunction, and nausea.
- Complex carbs like bread, beans and oatmeal can help compensate for low blood sugar levels.
- Take a multi-vitamin or eat vitamin-rich foods.