During flu season, medical doctors rave about the power of the flu shot. But as an alternative, we can also turn to natural remedies to protect and strengthen our immune system against whatever new super bug is going around. A few years ago, I met Teresa Koerner, a certified holistic health coach and doTerra Gold Wellness consultant, on a bus ride from a spa in St. George, Utah to Las Vegas and we had a fascinating conversation about essential oils.
Teresa uses essential oils to empower women to take care of themselves and their loved ones without worrying about harmful side effects.
Here are her 5 holistic flu-fighting tips:
1. doTerra On Guard Essential Oil Protective Blend is my number one pick to protect and prevent during the cold and flu season. It has the ability to penetrate through the cell membrane to kill a virus. So it has the power to stop the flu before it starts.
Last winter I had two grandchildren with the stomach flu and their mom had to work. So I put some On Guard in my diffuser and also put two drops in a veggie capsule and took it internally, and I never got sick. I also love to make my own hand sanitizer instead of using the alcohol type that can strip your body's own protective layer.
2. Oregano essential oil was used by Hippocrates, the father of medicine, and has many traditional and modern uses. My favorite way to use it is in a veggie capsule at the onset of any cold or flu symptom to stop it in its tracks. Oregano is a member of the mint family, and is often called one of nature’s strongest antiseptics. It has the powerful active ingredients--carvacrol and thymol--which make it an antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral. It offers huge support to strengthen the body during cold and flu season.
3. Cayenne pepper aids in breaking up and moving congested mucus. Once mucus begins to leave the body, relief from flu symptoms generally follows. Cayenne is an excellent preservative and has been used traditionally to prevent food contamination from bacteria. I have used cayenne for a range of health benefits since I was a child. Once, as an adult I had the kind of sore where you can't swallow without absolutely needing to. I put 1 tsp. of cayenne in a small amount of water (not recommended for children or the fainthearted) and drank it all. After a few fiery minutes and a glass of milk, my sore throat was gone!
4. doTerra On Guard Cleaner Concentrate can help kill those pesky germs before they get to you or your family. It can also keep killing the germs on a surface long after the surface has been cleaned. This is a great preventative measure in our home. On Guard also offers hand soap and laundry soap for full germ protection.
5. Clove essential oil works well as a disinfectant, and is also used for viral infections. If you worry about free radicals and are looking for things that are high in antioxidants, clove essential oil is amazing. One drop in a veggie capsule is cost effective and powerful. Free radicals and the damage they can cause on the cellular level have received a lot of attention in recent years. The oxidative stress caused by free radicals — which are produced during normal metabolism and cell function, as well as pollutants in our air, water and food — is implicated in everything from premature aging and wrinkles to DNA damage, diabetes, cancer and heart disease.